At the Education after-talk we came up with the idea for some "Design Patterns for Teaching" that could be used to guide those who want to offer classes (both to their own community and to students and kids in area schools) but who don't have much experience teaching itself. Please feel free to change the patterns and suggest more patterns!
- Have helpers, discover helpers.
- Check for understanding.
- Go slower than when you DIY.
- Play, process, play, process.
- Discover their unknown.
- Narrate your every action.
- Backwards from the outcome.
- Wait for answers.
- Use questions to promote understanding.